Pepper Chicken and Rice
Pepper Chicken & Rice Jar (cauliflower rice also works great if you are sticking to low carb and/or low calorie)
Rice Bowls, Bento Bowls, Teriyaki Bowls, Quinoa Bowls: they are all a great “go to” if you're looking for a healthy dish when eating out. I have a mouth-watering recipe that is a great alternative to eating out. It requires just a little time and effort at home and will allow you to eat healthier, spend less, and enjoy more time during the week. The time and effort to prepare pays off all week long! Your lunch and/or dinners are ready in a matter of minutes! This recipe is so good and all you need are a few healthy ingredients, and a few mason jars!
NOTE: I use my Instant Pot to make the shredded chicken and if making beans from scratch I use my slow cooker (the instant pot has a slow cooker function but to be efficient I use both at the same time). I’m not including the calories as it depends on how much of each item you use. A good portion size for one serving: 1/3 to 1/2 cup of each: chicken, beans, and rice and total calories approximately 250-350 total. The fresh ingredients are all low calorie so feel free to be generous.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast and thighs (I use half breast and half thighs)
- Black beans
- Jasmine rice or Cauliflower rice
- Shredded cabbage
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Radish sliced thinly and in strips
- Salsa verde
- Cumin (for beans)
- Feta Cheese
- Salt and LOTS OF pepper to your taste
- Cook rice according to the package or if making cauliflower rice, here is a simple and tasty recipe.
- Cook chicken according to Instant Pot recommendations. I make as much as I can fit into my 6 quart pot.
- Shred the chicken – both breast and thighs together. I pour the leftover chicken stock into a mason jar and transfer the chicken back to instant pot. I’ve found the best way to shred chicken is to get out the hand mixer and mix away until you're happy with the “shred.” I also add some of the chicken stock as I mix. It keeps the chicken moist and helps the texture. Then add salt and lots of pepper (I use more pepper than I’ve ever used in any other recipe). I promise it is so good - even my 5 year old loves it.
- Open a few cans of beans or cook from scratch. Add cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Shred cabbage, chop cilantro, and cut thin long strips of radish. I usually use 1/2 a cabbage, an entire bunch of cilantro, and 5-6 radish.
- Grab your mason jars (any size depends on your appetite). NOTE: you need 2 mason jars for one meal to go: one for the hot ingredients and one for the fresh.
First Jar place in order: Chicken, Beans, and rice. Seal w/ lid and refrigerate.
Second Jar place in order: Cabbage, cilantro, radish, salsa verde, and a sprinkle of paprika and feta cheese. Seal with a lid and refrigerate.
When you are ready to consume: Warm up the jar with rice and beans and chicken and transfer onto plate. Pour the fresh ingredients over the top and enjoy! So easy, fresh, and delicious. The portion is controlled so you won’t overeat!