4th of July Firecracker Cocktail
Let's be real. Fourth of July festivities usually include some kind of adult beverage. How can we avoid added sugars, stay on track with our fitness goals, AND enjoy a cocktail (or two)?
Most sassy cocktails include simple syrup or some kind of high sugar mixer. One drink alone usually contains more added sugar than the American Heart Association’s daily recommended amount. I’m certain that hangovers can be worse due to all the sugar that is consumed with the alcohol I’ve tried using Stevia but it is a little bitter when added to cocktails. Xylitol is ok but the winner is Monk Fruit! You can make your own simple syrup with monk fruit and it’s sugar free, all natural and tastes great (BTW: Monk Fruit is good for you! Click here to learn more about it and click here to order it on Amazon!). You can use it in any cocktail that calls for a sweetener but the recipe below is perfect for your Fourth of July party. It is festive, low calorie, and sure to be a hit!
The Firecracker – Watermelon, Lime and Mint Cocktail
- 16oz Vodka
- 4 cups seedless watermelon
- 5-8 limes
- 8 oz Monk Fruit syrup (Boil 1 cup water and 1 Cup Monk Fruit just until monk fruit dissolves. Add 1 cup ice to cool) You can store leftovers in fridge as it makes about 2 cups. It will crystalize as it gets cold so you might need to reheat it for your next batch.
- Lime Rim (equal amounts salt and monk fruit combined with some fresh grated lime)
- 2 Watermelon Slices
- 2 small mint sprigs
- Blend vodka, watermelon, Juice of 4-6 limes (depends how much lime you want), and 8oz monk fruit syrup (or less if you prefer less sweet) for a quick 15 seconds.
- Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Shake with some ice and pour. Add garnishes and enjoy!
- If you prefer a more mild cocktail you can add a splash of sparking water along with some ice cubes.